It is highly unlikely that a movie like Battleship will be able to dethrone the Avengers, nothing against Battleship but like Cowboys and Aliens I don’t think it will be a big hit like the Avengers currently is. It seems that the Avengers is going to gross about 58-63 million this weekend, not the highest grossing third weekend but definitely one of the biggest and it should tally about 450 million by the end of the weekend making it the fastest to gross that amount of money just after the Dark Knight. It seems that the only thing that will be able to bet the Avengers is going to be Men in Black 3, though with the holiday weekend it should still do pretty good.
- Avengers banks $1bn worldwide (guardian.co.uk)
- Superhero Bits: The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-Man, TMNT, Hulk, Wonder Woman (slashfilm.com)
- Weekend Box Office – THE AVENGERS Break Second Weekend Record with $103.1 Million; DARK SHADOWS in Second with $28.8 Million (collider.com)
- The Avengers Global Box Office Haul: Record-Breaking! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- “Avengers” Dethrones “Dark Knight,” As Top Comic Book Adaptation Worldwide (comicbookresources.com)
- The Weekend Box Office: ‘Avengers’ Repeat, ‘Dark Shadows’ Debuts a Distant Second (sonyrumors.net)
- ‘The Avengers’ latest weapon? Garlic, apparently. $102.3M second weekend slays ‘Dark Shadows’ (timesunion.com)