Directed by: Jon Favreau
When I first heard that they were making a movie about Iron Man I just knew that the Avengers was going to be released soon, he is one of the founding members of the team in the comics. The outcome of this movie is just brilliant, it does’t focus to much on the superhero aspect but when it comes to story telling and an origin story that was the main focus of the movie. This is the movie that started the wave a fantastic Marvel movie, before the only good ones were the Spider-Man films and the X-Men films otherwise the rest aren’t all that great. Now that I look at the movie I cannot picture anyone else playing Tony Stark, Robert Downey Jr. was the perfect pick for the movie, he is able to have the sarcastic and narcissistic attitude that the character had in the comics. This film feels like a natural start for the Avenger’s movie, it doesn’t focus to much on tying everything to The Avengers but it tells an actual story for Iron Man, unlike Iron Man 2 which felt like a propaganda film for the Avengers. Right now 2008 had some of the best comic book movies to date, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dark Knight, though I am sure that 2012 will be the better year for such movies.
The playboy wolf and genius Tony Stark is the successful CIO of the Stark Industries, a weapon company founded by his father. His second in command is Obadiah Stane, who worked with his father, and his loyal and professional secretary is Pepper Potts, who has a crush on Tony. While in Afghanistan to demonstrate the ultimate Jericho missile developed by his company, his military convoy is attacked and Tony is seriously wounded on his chest and kidnapped by a group of rebels that wants him to assemble a missile for their use. Tony stays with his abductors for three months and develops a powerful metallic armor to escape from the cave where he is arrested. He decides to stop manufacturing weapons in his company under the protest of Obadiah, and dedicates his time to improve the armor, manufacturing it with gold and titanium and installing a propulsion system to fly. However, Pepper discovers that Tony was betrayed by Obadiah, who is using Tony’s data to build prototype armor for him, transforming it in the ultimate weapon.
9.5 out of 10
- ‘Iron Man 3′: What We Know So Far (Who’s In,Who’s Out, New Villain!) (hollywood.com)
- Iron Man 3’s Black Widow Blackout: Scarlett Johansson Skipping Out on Flick? (eonline.com)
- Chastain, Lau Ready to Join Cast of Iron Man 3 (comicbooked.com)
- Movie News: Jessica Chastain in Talks to Join ‘Iron Man 3′ (thefilmgoer.wordpress.com)
- Iron Man 3 gets Guy Pearce? (bizzam.wordpress.com)
- Big Screen Avengers 101: IRON MAN 2 Annotations (newsarama.com)
- ‘The Avengers’ Review (houseofgeekery.com)
- ‘Avengers’ Iron Man Extended TV Spot: Arsenal in a Suit of Armor (screenrant.com)